2015 End of the Year Survey
This survey was originally created by Jaime @ Perpetual Page Turner and takes place once a year in December as a way to wrap up our bookish year and look ahead to the new year.
2015 Reading Stats
First book you read in 2015: Owl and The Japanese Circus - A Female Indiana Jones? Yes Please!
Last book you read in 2015: I ended this year perfectly with Ready Player One - right after I finished The Abhorsen Trilogy...but more on these^^ below.
Number Of Books You Read: 35
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy
Best in Books
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t? Eleanor & Park - I really enjoyed Fangirl and thought I'd turned a new page with contemporaries...but E&P just really fell flat for me :(
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read? Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater because I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it but ended up completely falling in love with it.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)? Queen of Shadows but everyone was going to read that one anyway. I pushed Sabriel (The Abhorsen Trilogy)the most, and I know a ton of people added it to their tbr because of my constant gushing but I don't think anyone has read it yet *glares*
5. Best series you started in 2015? Best Sequel of 2015? Best Series Ender of 2015? The answer to all three questions is The Abhorsen Trilogy. Sabriel was the best starter to a series, Lirael was the best sequel and Abhorsen was the best ender. This series ruined me!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2015? Gartth Nix, Ernest Cline, Renée Ahdieh, Naomi Novik
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone? A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness. I was swept away in by the beautiful prose and poignant subject matter.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year? Queen.Of.Fucking.Shadows.
9. Book You Read In 2015 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year? The Abhorsen Trilogy - I'll be rereading this series many, many times, you can be sure of that!
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015? Blue Lily, Lily Blue and Uprooted
11. Most memorable character of 2015? My Fire-Breathing Bitch Queen of course. Oh and Sam from The Wolves of Mercy Falls ♥
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015? The Wrath & The Dawn - that prose was like something out of another world!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015? A Monster Calls - That kind of story stays with you long after you've read the final page...
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read? Ready. Player. One. As a child of the 80's, a geek and a fan of sci-fi, I'm honestly ashamed that I wasn't aware of the awesome I was missing! Also? Alanna: The First Adventure. Man, I wish I could have read this in Middle-School or High School.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015? ''Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?'' -Garth Nix
17. Book That Shocked You The Most? Queen of Shadows - that killer twist at the end had me reeling for days.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!) RONAN+ADAM FOR LIFE! (Shout out to Aelin+Ronan though since they made me jump ships - a previously unheard of phenomenon)
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year? Sam+Cole, Aelin+Lysandra, Wade+H and unfortunately (so far) Ronan+Adam.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read Previously? The Alloy of Law because returning to a beloved world of Sanderson's is like reuniting with an old friend. And A Darker Shade of Magic/The Archived because Schwab is a magical chameleon.
21. Best Book You Read In 2015 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure? Grave Mercy. It was getting embarrassing that I'd never read it so naturally I had to fix that. I'm glad I did! Now I need to finish the rest of the series...
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015? Sam of The Wolves of Mercy Falls. A tortured bookish musician who can buy the perfect dress for his girlfriend. SWOON.
23. Best 2015 debut you read? The Wrath & The Dawn. I had a few reservations before starting but I was taken in almost instantly and I loved every second of it!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year? The Abhorsen Trilogy. Which probably explains why it's one of my absolute favorites this year. The Old Kingdom is rich, darkly atmospheric and vividly magical. So.Much.Love!
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read? A Darker Shade of Magic. There's no other way to describe it. Sure it was dangerous and violent but I had a blast through it all!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015? A Monster Calls. I wept. It was intense.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year? Owl and the Japanese Circus It's like I said: a female 'Indiana Jones' facing a wide variety of supernatural monsters on the quest for a magical artifact. Win.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul? Queen of Shadows. There were many 'therapy sessions' following that ending, I kid you not! Thanks Lee ♥
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2015? Uprooted. The magical system, setting, friendship and world made this one stand apart. Not to mention those evil woods O.O *shudder* Also? Ready Player One. The concept, dystopian world and virtual reality all mixed in together is crazy-cool.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)? Eleanor & Park. No comment.
Your Blogging/Bookish Life
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2015? Queen of Shadows or Sabriel - What can I say?! I love gushing.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog? My Harry Potter Fandom Wishlist post and my discussion post where I discuss Rereading/Rewatching were quite good, if I do say so myself ;)
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)? Obviously BEA15 takes the cake here. I made some of my best bookish memories at this event and this year was no different! Me and Giselle had a blast roadtripping solo for the first time this year to and from the event and while there, rooming with Rashika and Amy was a total blast. The event was, as usual filled with amazing bloggers, books and authors ♥
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015? MEETING MAGGIE STIEFVATER!!!
6. Most challenging thing about blogging or your reading life this year? Finding time to read when work or real life gets hectic. Thank the book gods for audiobooks!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? My Announcing Harry Potter Month got the most views and comments :D
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love? My newest edition of Let's Discuss... My other discussion posts got way more comments than this one did and I don't know why. I was really excited for it before posting but then... *crickets*
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? When my cousin told me I could check out audiobooks online through my local library and listen to them on my mobile. My commute to work was forever changed. Now I'm all like:
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)? The Raven King. I need it like air, even though I know it might just kill me.
3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating? Into the Dim and The Dragon Round instantly come to mind.
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016? A Court of Mist and Fury, The Rose & The Dagger, A Gathering of Shadows, and last but certainly not least Throne of Glass #5
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2016? Buy less books and read all of the awesome ones I already own.
6. A 2016 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone? Truthwitch. Even though it didn't blow me away like I hoped it would, I still really enjoyed it and I want to compare notes with everyone!
Happy 2016 Everyone!!