Top Ten TuesdayTop Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish which features a variety of bookish top ten lists!
2. Lord of the Rings - Yup, I'm sticking with the classic fantasy quests for the top picks. Honestly, I know a lot of big readers who've never even read the LotR series...or they started it and never finished because of the long descriptions (which are especially heavy during the first 50 or so pages of book 1. But honestly, this is fantasy fiction at it's most classic form. I feel like a kid again when I'm with Frodo, Sam, Gandalf, Argorn and all the rest of the Fellowship. I feel like this gets overlooked because it's been around forever or because the movies did such an amazing job (in my opinion) at capturing the grand scale & breathtaking scenes. *I'm including The Hobbit in this as well.
3. Anne of Green Gables - Another old series but this one I actually grew up with. Anne of Green Gables is a series that takes place in Prince-Edward Island, Canada. A mere hour drive from where I live and when I was little we would vacation there in the Summer. It's such a beautiful place and the AoGG series did such a brilliant job capturing the charm and whimsy of the place. Anne herself was so endearing to me growing up. Always imagining and pretending :) While the series does lose most a lot of it's steam as it goes on (I think I never finished the 6th book) the first 3 books at least are worth it, they have a charm that I'll never forget falling for that first time, and they continue to charm me as an adult.
4. TheTwilight Saga - I might get hate mail for this one but I'm ok with that LOL... I inhaled these books in record time. Stephenie Meyer has what I find to be an incredibly addictive style of writing. I can relate to Bella (in the books) for being an awkward, clumsy brunette who never fit in in high school. I loved Edward just as quickly as she did, no kidding within seconds I was obsessed. (Team Edward!) This book made me get excited every time I've taken a walk in the woods since then. Especially right after, I'd get all dreamy and imagine running into a golden-eyed vampire or a giant wolf-pack. and I'd tell my boyfriend that if we meet a vampire I was going to try and get bitten...ahhh *swoon*
5. The Secret Garden - I had actually read this book as required reading in high school. It was the first required book that ever enchanted me as much. (We'd even watched the BBC mini-series, it was awesome!) I've re-read this recently, and I'm delighted to say I loved it just as much as an adult. There are no fantastical elements to this story, but it feels magical enchanted anyways. The characters are so rich and innocent, and their lives are so totally changed for the better by just discovering a secret garden. And honestly, how adorable is that?
6. A Little Princess - Another book by Frances Hodgson Burnett ( see #5) I actually only discovered this one recently and I loved it just as much as The Secret Garden. It's much more heartbreaking and stark, but it maintains the same innocence & sense of wonder that made me love this author in the first place.
7. The Warriors (Original Series) - This is a series that is often overlooked as being a children's series. I know others have found it odd because it's told from the perspective of a...cat. But not just any cat. A feral, warrior-cat that lives in a clan amongst other cats; cats that have leaders and healers; an organized, structured society of cats. Cats that fall in love, fight in horribly bloody battles (no kidding, its brutal)...cats that are betrayed, and cats that scheme and lie. It's like nothing I've ever read before, I think this series was easily one of the most emotional experiences of my life. If you like cats, drama and action; you have to check out the original series at least. (There are 6 books in the original series but then also 3 other spin off or sequel series...not to mention super-editions and manga!) The original series is the best but I honestly enjoyed all the other books as well. I was reading this for like months LOL
8. Mistborn: The Final Empire - I've only recently read the first book in this adult high-fantasy trilogy that was released in 2007 but I instantly ran out and bought the other 2 books in the trilogy. This is an absolutely amazing read! The setting is dark and cruel, the characters are amazingly relatable, inspiring and likeable, the magical system it operates on is unlike anything I've ever read before. It's a truly epic high fantasy that features a kick-ass heroine (and hero) with tremendous character evolution and a truly engaging & surprising plot.
9.The Host - Another book by Stephenie Meyer *shakes fist at haters then runs and hides* This book had the same addictive writing style as Twilight (only no Edward boo) but still. We get Jared & Ian. I'm definitely in the minority here because I am SO Team Jared. But moving on, The Host is more of a sci-fi or even dystopian novel. Though I have NO idea why it's considered an 'adult' novel, because we don't get anything more in this one that we did in Twilight. We just get teased...again! *sigh* Anyways this book is massive but I finished it as quick as can be. And I loved it, I'm super excited though also kind of scared that SM will apparently right two more books the 'The Host' universe.
10. The Fever Series - Warning this is an ADULT fantasy read. And when I say adult, I mean SEXY. I have to admit it took awhile for this series to grow on me. You definitely have to be able to get past the initial set-up. The heroin Mac has a truly remarkable character evolution arc. In the first half of book 1 she's a total shallow Barbie girl and author Karen Marie Moning spends a little too much time describing how perfect Mac looks. By the end of book 1, she hadn't fully impressed me...yet, but I knew I was going to have to keep reading. Book 3, 4, and 5 are some of the most addictive, inventive and sexy books I've ever read. I love the combination of fantasy elements mixed in with incredibly hot and steamy stuff. This series is quite the adventure to read anyways ;-)
Link me up below & don't forget to let me know if you're a new follower ♥